Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Joy of Civilization

My friend, K, has kindly and generously offered to intercede on my behalf to help solve my impending habitation problem, see previous post. I was slightly reluctant to mention this because I didn't want to wreck his humility, but ultimately there's nothing wrong with appreciating kindness. Yes, I am very greatful.

He took a risk by arranging a home for me, in the process tacitly vouching for my character and putting his own reputation on the line should I experience regressional episodes. My doctor has assured me that there shouldn't be any problems provided that I stick to my regimen of medication and hypnosis.

I was regretting the very real possibility of having to live in a go-she-wahn or hasuk, I did so several years ago and I have quite exercised that particular wilderness spirit out of my system. My other connections bottomed out, so K's arrival was a timely godsend; oh, by the way, thanks to you too Boss...about bloody time (I've been dropping extra 10 won coins in the basket for months).

The next two months resting, roaming, and generally living off the fat of last year is greatly anticipated. Not to fear, I don't plan to blow my wad on irresponsible boozing and whoring. That was money well earned.

I am a relatively modest person and usually live accordingly. I plan on taking photos of the city, teaching myself how to read again, perhaps finally start writing, and sitting in cafes alone, observing people, or sipping tea with friends and generally feeling civilized. What better place to seek peace and quiet and calm retreat than a gently pastured hamlet of 10 to 20 million people (depending on the time of day) like Seoul.

So for the next little while there shall be no speaking of split shifts, 5am wake ups, and students that don't study but insist on throwing money at the company for the privilege of sitting in front of a native English speaker for a mystical experience.


Posted by Bruce the Not-So-Fucked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page